What am I learning about?

This week I would like you to think about your learning. What have you enjoyed the most, what are you finding hard, what have you got better at. This learning can be any kind of learning at school  in any subject, at home, in sports or other activity. Or write about what ever you want. Make sure you incude a link to a webpage somewhere in your post

Learning is about conversation

When you blog you are having a conversation with others. In this interaction you can learn things you didn't know before. You can think about your own opinion and how to best express it. You will think about the language that others have used and what words will best show what you are thinking. And you are practising your writing skills. You KNOW that people in this class, in other classes, and all over the world can read and are INTERESTED in, your opinions. That is why I say learning is about conversation.

This lesson your task is to read the blogs of other Year 10 students. Read a number of entries until you find one that you want to respond to. You will find lots of different personalities among the writings of the students and they will approach the issues they are writing about in different ways. You will not always agree with their views on what they are writing about.

Leave a number of thoughtful comments with writers you both agree with and disagree with to continue the conversation (make sure you are logged into to your own blog when you do this so they can get back to you). Then having read a number of different opinions on different issues, write a blog entry of your own on something that is interesting to you at the moment. It could be based on something you have read in other blogs, or a new topic.

If you refer to other blogs make sure you put in a link to that blog. If you can't think of anything to write about, write about the best film you have seen lately and why it appealed to you. If you have time you may like to look at these Year 11 blogs as well.

default

Image attribution: www.flickr.com/photos/50698336@N00/2735401175

Working on the studyguide

Just the other day you were given a challenge: to make our own webpage which is a study guide for the novel The Secret Life of Bees. Two classes, 10a and 10g will be writing it together and I have a friend who lives in South Carolina where the novel is set who will be able to add some things to our website. What do you think about students writing the textbook, rather than reading it? How else do you think education is changing these days. Are the teachers making enough use? ot too much use? of technology in your classes? What would you like to see happen in the future with regard to your learning at school. As you answer you might like to link to some of your favourite sites on the internet.

Commenting on students' writing

Everyone likes comments. It means you know people are reading and that they are interested in what you have to say. It is a good practice to read and comment on about three blog posts from students other than your friends. But what do you say? How do you comment in the best way? It is easy to say" wow, great post". but is this really encouraging. Try to make your comments meaningful. When you are commenting think about asking a question. Some sentence starters for comments which I got from Anne Davis , a teacher and a blogger who has great ideas, are here:
  • This made me think about.......
  • I wonder why.......
  • Your writing made me form an opinion about.......
  • This post is relevant because.......
  • Your writing made me think that we should.......
  • I wish I understood why.......
  • This is important because.......
  • Another thing to consider is.......
  • I can relate to this.......
  • This makes me think of.......
  • I discovered.......
  • I don't understand.......
  • I was reminded that.......
  • I found myself wondering.......
  •  

My webpage

Here you can start your webpage for Year 10 English. It will be a place to have conversations about your learning and to express your views on various issues. We will use this space to interact with other classes in the school, within Australia and in other coyuntries. You may want to publish work you are proud of or work in progress that you would like comments on. You can personalise the page with copyright free photos or photos that you have the copyright to. Make sure you write an introduction to yourself for your readers.