"Can you imagine a colour you haven't seen before?"

Err, Foreword?:
Aaah, it's so hard to post on a specific topic. So i think i'll take the option of "write about what ever you want."

Ok I'm gonna steal another post from the same place i got the metaphors one. (But they are both originally my ideas anyway, so it doesn't really matter. [does it :S?])

Main post:
I came up with this idea, that we all have the same favourite colour... We just see it on different things..

For example, lets say that everyone's favourite colour is what I perceive as "blue".

I see this colour in the sky...
But maybe someone who says they like the colour "green" actually sees what i perceive as blue in the grass.
and they only call it "green" because that is the colour name attached to the object.

How do you describe a colour other than saying... "Err... it's blue..." or "It's like the colour of the sky"

After explaining this idea to a friend she said: "Whenever I see you I'm going to be wondering if my hair looks green to you." ^__^

"Learning is about conversion; isn't that what morals are?"

I WOUUULLD have posted another poem, but mrs mcleay seemed to be dropping big hints to do a proper blog ;)

Sooooooo... i'll try and think of a topic
ooh I know: a topic that I used on another blog ages ago (lol three 'R's: Reduce, Reuse, recycle)

Basically the post was about metaphors and similes (i used to think that word was smiley [when a teacher asked me to make a smiley, i literally drew a happy face])....

What i did, was asked someone for an object, and a emotion (or other abstract sortof term) and then tried to make a simile/metaphor out of it.
But i don't want to bore you with just my own similes so, i'll maybe try one, then put down some words for other people (if you want) to try to make one.

OK!! here are my words: (supplied by my dad ^__^)
muffin AND conundrum (man..... these can be difficult)
i'm gonna change these slightly (feel free to do that if you attempt to try one yourself :P)
Here is my simile:
"Making a muffin, is like soliving a problem (conundrum). To get the right result, you have to use the right mixture."
now, i could expand on that--- like, "if you get it wrong, you can always try again, and you learn from the experience"

NOW!! it's your turn!!! Try and make a metaphor/simile out of these words (also supplied by my dad):
pick one word out of each list
object -----abstract
tail---------worry
worm------enjoyment
ear--------employment
flare-------laughter
beam------wisdom
voltage----vigour

Edit: In literature we learnt about conceits, which are basically metaphors, but comparing two totally (seemingly) different objects. Like comparing a flea with marriage (John Donne).

Another one that I've remembered:  "Your nose is like a kiwi fruit;"  now these are very different.. you wouldn't normally compare someone's nose to a fruit unless you were comparing shape. But look (it continues):
"It's green and hairy."

I think that normally, conceits compare ordinary things to the extraordinary. I guess like saying "Mother nature"  except in poetical terms.

Technology: A mouthful of wires and cables

Ive seen a few posts around, so i thought i might do one.. Edit: haha i just realised that it was one of the topics we were given. good thing i decided to post on it ^__^

Frankly you all sound like hippies(/enviromentalists) ^_ ^: "Save the whales!! technology is ruining our kid's childhood!!"    or something to that effect

I think technology isn't entirely deteriorating to intelligence-- I think blogging/online discussion is good for shy people: they have longer to think, and compose their words properly before putting them to the public... also, you can read over what people have said, without having to retell over and over again. You can get opinions from all around the world, not just from a single classroom. You can quickly find related topics without having to listen to fifty hour long lectures.

You can pick and choose what you read.
I read an article about this, unfortunately i don't have the link.

I think, a problem is that you don't get the vocal and facial expressions in writing. But some people can write fantastic peices that outshine anything they might ever say in a face to face conversation. Just because they have more skill in their written communication.

I think that having handwriting skills is not essential. after all, common people one thousand years ago did not know how to write, yet they survived.
We could be moving into an age where technology skills is the thing you need,  just like these days maths and english are the compulsary "main" subjects (along with science).

(i'm starting to rant here) And even simple things like producing food and simple living necessities are not focused on in school. If i want to become a hermit and live off my own land, i'm not gonna need english skills! Sure if i wanted to label things or sell things i might need them... but if all i want to do is grow them and eat them,   i can MEMORISE how to do that.... i don't need to be able to read instructions or anything.

Back on topic... In this age, children are growing up with computers, and their minds are growing along with it to be able to cope with the amount of information that it gives them. So the right sort of technology can be GOOD for their intellect.
But this sort of technology certainly can't be good for their physical health

By the way: How can teachers educate us properly? How can they prepare us for the future when the future has not happened yet? They are preparing us for the world that is NOW... but by the time we are released into it, the world will have CHANGED!!! They are preparing us for a world that will have already passed!

However beneficial technology is, i still want to live in a world without all these appliances and internet (: O ) just because i actually like outside (despite the amount of time i spend on the computer), and i find it a shame that kids won't be playing outside in trees as much. Or riding bikes. Or having water fights.

"she snarls against the chilly breeze"

Wow, i just realised that my first two poems were both about Ravens.... so, time for a change-- it was actually hard for me to choose which poem to put down next... (I have a list of them)

This one is by a well known author

Here's a cool picture of the poem

For anyone interested, the lamb line apparently refers to another poem by William Blake called "The Lamb" http://www.pathguy.com/tyger.htm - this is the link I got that explanation from, but i think it's a bunch of bull. Just enjoy the beauty of the poem and the imagery.

By William Blake

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare sieze the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art.
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears,
And watered heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

default

"A memorable poem is like jewel found in the sand."

I can't think of any thing to blog, so I will just post another poem (this time shorter) I really like the language used, and it's so awesome!!!

"The Twa Corbies" - Anonymous

As I was walking all alane
I heard twa corbies making a mane:
The tane unto the t'other did say,
"Whar sall we gang and dine the day?"

"—In behint yon auld fail dyke
I wot there lies a new-slain knight;
And naebody kens that he lies there
But his hawk, his hound, and his lady fair.

"His hound is to the hunting gane,
His hawk to fetch the wild-fowl hame,
His lady's ta'en anither mate,
So we may mak our dinner sweet.

"Ye'll sit on his white hause-bane,
And I'll pike out his bonny blue e'en:
Wi' ae lock o' his gowden hair
We'll theek our nest when it grows bare.

"Mony a one for him maks mane,
But nane sall ken whar he is gane:
O'er his white banes, when they are bare,
The wind sall blaw for evermair." 

default 

Image by Arthur Rackham